July Concealed Carry Class
July 24 @ 9:00 am - July 25 @ 2:00 pm$75.00 – $150.00
This is a 2 day class structured to meet the state requirement for concealed carry licensing. Classroom time and range qualifications will be held at Strykers Shooting World in Las Cruces New Mexico. You cannot get your license if you cannot attend the class at this location, or if you are not a New Mexico resident.
Day one is classroom instruction on law, firearms safety, methodology of self defense, etc.
Also on day one, some scenario training and the responsibilities of carrying a firearm will be covered.
Qualifications will be shot on day 2 in our indoor shooting range.
Highlights of NM Concealed Carry Classes:
- Self defense laws in New Mexico
- Situational awareness
- Handgun function and nomenclature
- “Stand Your Ground” & “Castle Doctrine” laws and meanings in New Mexico
- Definitions and restrictions of Concealed Carry Licensure
- Interactive discussion
How do I qualify?
The New Mexico Department of Public Safety will issue licenses to individuals who meet the following requirements:
From The New Mexico Department of Public Safety:
New Mexico Statutes Annotated (NMSA) Chapter 19 Concealed Handgun Carry 29-19-4. Applicant qualifications. (2005)
A. The department shall issue a concealed handgun license to an applicant who:
(1) is a resident of New Mexico or is a member of the armed forces whose permanent duty station is located in New Mexico or is a dependent of such a member;
(2) is twenty-one years of age or older;
(3) is not a fugitive from justice;
(4) has not been convicted of a felony in New Mexico or any other state or pursuant to the laws of the United States or any other jurisdiction;
(5) is not currently under indictment for a felony criminal offense in New Mexico or any other state or pursuant to the laws of the United States or any other jurisdiction;
(6) is not otherwise prohibited by federal law or the law of any other jurisdiction from purchasing or possessing a firearm;
(7) has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution;
(8) is not addicted to alcohol or controlled substances; and
(9) has satisfactorily completed a firearms training course approved by the department for the category and the largest caliber of handgun that the applicant wants to be licensed to carry as a concealed handgun.
In addition to the above, any person wishing to obtain a license must prove proficiency with the handgun they desire to carry. This will require you to fire 15 rounds at 3 yards and 10 rounds at 7 yards for a total of 25 rounds. You must hit inside of a 12″ x 18″ rectangle with 18 of the 25 shots to pass the qualification
What May I Carry?
You may carry a handgun in the caliber you qualify with OR SMALLER. For example, if you qualify with 45 caliber you may carry 45, 40, 38, 357, 9mm 380, etc. Qualify with a 380 you may only carry a 380, 32, 25, or 22 etc.
If you qualify with a semi-automatic you can only carry a semi-automatic under the caliber restriction listed above. If you qualify with a revolver you may only carry a revolver under the caliber restrictions listed above. You can qualify with both types if you desire. The most common scenario is for a student to qualify with a 45 caliber semi-automatic and revolver, this leaves them with the greatest number of carry options.
All qualification targets are provided, however, you will need to purchase or bring ammunition. 75 rounds will be sufficient for all your shooting practice and qualification needs. We have a 45 caliber semi-automatic, and revolver you can use for qualification if you desire. To use these firearms we request that you inform us and purchase ammunition from us before the qualification date.
The Devil Is In The Details.
New Mexico concealed carry licenses are valid for four years. Two years after the issue date of your license you are required to visit the New Mexico Department of Public Safety website and complete an online refresher course. The course is available here: New Mexico Department of Public Safety Concealed Carry Page
At the end of four years you will be required to attend a portion of the classroom time again, as well as re-shoot your qualification under the same restrictions as a new licensee. We offer both types of classes, simply signup for the type that you require. You have a +/- 60 day window to renew your license. You can’t take a renewal course more than 60 days before your license expiration date. And you have up to 60 days after your license expires to take a renewal course. Note that your license IS NO LONGER VALID for carrying a firearm after its expiration date during the 60 day grace period! If your license has been expired for more than 60 days, you will have to take the course as a new applicant.
The cost for our class is $150.00 per person for new applicants, or $75 per person for four year renewals. Payments must be made in advance, which will secure your seat in the class. We are unable to accommodate any day-of-class registrations. Please note that the course tuition does not include the processing fee charged by the State of New Mexico, nor the charge for obtaining your electronic fingerprints. Strykers Shooting World has no control over these additional charges. They will total $100.
Please note THIS IS NOT A BASIC HANDGUN CLASS! This class is not intended to teach the student how to shoot. You must be able to manipulate, load, and fire your handgun BEFORE taking this class!
Students wishing to take our concealed carry classes will require two items to be completed in advance:
- You will need to purchase your seat for class, either in person in our retail store, or online here
- You will need to complete our range waiver if you have not already done so. If you’ve shot in our indoor range in the past, have taken one of our previous concealed carry classes, or have followed the “Sign our Range Waiver” link on this website, then we already have this waiver on file for you. If you’ve never done any of those things, you can find the range waiver here – Our Range Waiver
We appreciate your taking the time to help us ensure that we have all our paperwork in order, it makes a big difference. If you purchase a seat for class online, you will see a prompt when you checkout asking you to be sure that you’ve completed the Range Waiver. If you’ve followed the link above, you can ignore the prompt at checkout. There will also be a link to the Range Waiver in the emailed receipt that you will receive, again, you only need to complete the waiver once.
Please provide us with a current email address when you complete your class application. We’ll send you a class reminder email the week of your class date! We promise not to use your email for marketing purposes unless you give us permission.
When And Where?
Class start at 9:00 am sharp on Saturday. Please be prompt out of respect for your classmates. Saturday’s classroom portion last until around 5:00 pm. Several breaks are taken throughout the day, including a one hour lunch break. Students are broken into groups of six or fewer and assigned a time on Sunday morning to arrive for qualifications. The first group will begin at 9:00 am; most qualifications are completed by 2:00 pm. More details about times for qualifications will be given in-person in class on Saturday.
Feel free to call us at 575-523-2424 with any questions that you may have.
New Mexico Department of Public Safety
Looking for the NMDPS website? It’s right here!
Four-year students please note:
The New Mexico Department of Public Safety is stepping up their enforcement of the two-year re-qualification requirement for license holders. If you have not followed the procedure and taken the two-year online refresher class within the 120 day eligibility window (or re-shot a qualification before the online refresher was implemented) you will not be eligible to take a four-year renewal class. Again, to be eligible for a four-year renewal class, you must have already done your two-year re-qualification; otherwise, you will be required to start the license process over again by taking a new-applicant class for $150. If you have any questions about this requirement, please call us at 575-523-2424 before registering.